Old 06-05-13, 05:09PM   #1
Gach
Administrator

Default RIF RAF RACING Pontiac MR1 CAGE

Nice looking piece

Old 06-05-13, 05:25PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Couple of questions come to mind, I see its bolted to a MR-1 block. Looks like its going to take a special made up oil pan. From what I hear the other reason ( mian reason ) is to adpt it to a stock Pontiac block. To save the cost of going to and after market block.

My thoughts look how tall it is, thing got add another 6" to the bottom of the block. Vision adding an oil pan to the bottom of that cage. My concern is if I bolted that to bottom of my block and then added the oil pan, the oil pan would be hitting the ground.

I mean I can even see that in a tube chassis car with out it hitting the ground. My other concern is it will also take a special oil pump and a real long oil pump drive shaft from the disb to the oil pump.

Man when you add up the cost of the cage, drive shaft, oil pump and specially made up pan all for a stock block ( can't see you ever needing one on a MR-1 or IA block ) wouldn't it be cheaper for a guy just to make the move to and after market block. I can see Ground clearance being a serious issue with this cage.
Old 06-05-13, 05:32PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Could you even bolt this up in a stock chassis or a car with a stock front end. I mean what are these people thinking.
Old 06-05-13, 06:37PM   #4
Mb125

Not to mention more possibilities of leaks.
Old 06-05-13, 07:30PM   #5
t-bar

Isn't this yours Lou? looks like your bed room..

HAHA
I will bet there is a flat piece that goes up to the oil pump and then a sump attaches to that..Other than that your right , it will prob hit the ground
t-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 07:46PM   #6
Gach
Administrator

Mine..sure I commission it. LOL.

I don't know sounds like it won't be a cheap set up. Two sets of oil pan gaskets. I'm just picturing adding 6" to my oil pan. No way with the cross member would it fit. Imagine doing a wheel stand and coming down on top of that. Och!

I will say someone does some nice work though.
Old 06-05-13, 07:48PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Joe Mondello must be rolling over in his grave.
Old 06-06-13, 12:54AM   #8
Gach
Administrator

LOL... I was wondering how long it was going to take before Wilkie was going to bring up this cage on PY. The expert has Determined that stock Pontiac blocks fail because of poor Preparation. Just think of the preparation and cost it's going to take to run this cage. The number 1 issue with stock blocks is Cylinder wall thickness. It's like this guy will say anything to try and sell a product.
Old 06-06-13, 01:01AM   #9
Gach
Administrator

Where's the crank Scraper go LOL.
Old 06-14-13, 03:47AM   #10
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default Deep skirt blocks

Looking at it at first You come up with those kind of questions.
But go look at the pan that is on a deep skirted block.
The pans are not huge deep affairs unless you need maximum windage with a wet sump system.
If the intent there is to go dry sump the pan does not have to be real deep either.
Most deep skirt blocks register the individual mains in the skirt.
They should have used that approach.
the different expansion rates between the aluminum & iron may cause some tricky elaerances.
The scraper would have to bolt to the inside of this assembly because the mains caps cannot move down.Having said that how doest the original pan rail get sealed?
Oring in a reciever groove?
Regular pan gasket would throw everything off.
Does this fixture get doweled to the original pan rails?
Looks like there is a whole lot of testing and proofing still to do on the idea before it ever gets sent to market.
Old 06-14-13, 12:31PM   #11
Mb125

But why even waste all the time $ and effort?
Old 06-14-13, 02:42PM   #12
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
But why even waste all the time $ and effort?
Exactly my thoughts. By the time your done having that block line bored and mess with a custom pan and after market pump and all the issues with a stock block, like thin walls from core shift it would be cheaper just to by and after market block. I looked up what it cost me to put steel caps on my stock block it was $1500.00 for everything. Boring, freeze plugs, cam bearings and filling. That was 10 years ago. Add the cost of buying the block I was up to $1750.00. Plus no counting the money and time I spent after buying three blocks sonic testing each one before I found one that would take a .030 over bore.

I learned my lession after doing a .030 455 for a friend, he only wanted to run in the 11's. his first trip to the drag strip two passes at 11.40 and the block cracked. Can't remember which cylinder it was, but after sonic testing the cylinder that crack was only .120 thick. You neen a Minimum of .180. My IA is like .320.

Also had one main cap crack right on the dyno. That's when I stoped messing with stock blocks. I know a few guys have run them with Success. So I guess it's the luck of the draw. I think a stock block if sonic tested is probably good for up to 650 HP. I understand most of us don't have the bucks to afford and after marke block. But I don't think I'd spend the money on this cage if the end results total cost ends up to with in $800.00 of just buying and after market block.
Old 06-14-13, 02:46PM   #13
Gach
Administrator

But I get what your saying the cage actually become part of the pan, so therefore the pan doesn't need to be as deep as a stock pan. But the Windage tray and crank scrapper would be a tricky deal. My thoughts you better have a good man who knows what he's doing when it comes to the line boring.
Old 06-14-13, 10:01PM   #14
sprint250
Moteesuh

Exactly.
Remember the pics of the Pontiac Heaven dragster engine when it was under construction?
They had that block girdled & strapped.
The nitro probably seeped into the filler through a crack and blew the side out of the block when they were starting up just to cackle it.
The bottom end did not fail but it was a huge expense of time and effort to build all that into a stock block.
Not to say it cannot be done but now with the aftermarket blocks there is a more efficient/cost effective pathway to get it done.
Old 06-15-13, 12:39AM   #15
Gach
Administrator

Oh god yes, I remember those pictures. Pretty scray looking.