PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 04-05-07, 05:46PM   #1
Corey

Default Gotta love the magic of television

Gotta love the magic of television. Anyone seen these new autozone commercials where the guys are sitting around the campfire talking. Guy carries in a gm starter and has it tested to find out its good then they sell him a ford selonoid switch.
Old 04-05-07, 05:52PM   #2
A. X.

LOL! Maybe it was a relocation solinoid.
Old 04-05-07, 05:59PM   #3
Corey

I worked for az when I was younger and the one thing I know is the guys there dont know squat usually. If you do any mods to your car they are lost. I put a 454 in a maverick one time and had to get some parts later and the guy argued with me that theres no way it had a 454 and no way it could be done.
Old 04-05-07, 06:46PM   #4
A. X.

That's no scret. Autozone and the likes are notorious for hiring stupid people who are more computer literate than autoparts literate.
Old 04-05-07, 09:26PM   #5
Chuck

I've been banned from the Autozone by my house for expressing my opinon. I go to Advance Auto the guys that work there have been around for awhile and know their stuff. Thats how I roll!
Old 04-05-07, 10:39PM   #6
A. X.

Here's my question... When is Summit going to open up a chain of stores nation wide? Performance parts at a decent price in your home town? Come on! Why am I giving away these million dollar ideas? LOL!
Old 04-06-07, 12:29AM   #7
Corey

Believe it or not autozone started out to be a performance dealer now theyre just bling dealers.
Old 04-06-07, 09:37AM   #8
Chuck

Back in the late 70s Summit had small outlet performance shops here in Michigan. I remember going there with my dad when I was a kid. I went last year to the Summit racing in Ohio it was pretty cool.
Old 04-06-07, 12:36PM   #9
Mb125

I have a true autozone story. I need a plain old mechanical fuel pump for a pontiac so i give the kid information on a 1970 pontiac 400, then he asked what model and i tell him a lemans, then if the car has A/C. I say all i want is a fuel pump and it doesnt matter, he is arguing with me if it will fit or not, im like its a pontiac they are all the same.Moral of the story is these people have no brains in their head and the computer does all the thinking.I liked the days when you had to look in a book to get a part number.
Mb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 02:32PM   #10
A. X.

We still have parts stores like that here, and they are the ones who usually outfit the local mechanic shops. They are a bit more pricey on their parts, but you always get the right part, and with less bull shit. Plus, some of these guys have been around a while, and don't even need to look in the book for a lot of stuff. They just go to the back, get it, and there you go. That's the kind of service I like.
Old 04-06-07, 05:41PM   #11
Corey

Our local parts guy has no computer and has just about every part ive ever needed. His stores a wreck and real un orginised but he knows where everythings at. I went in for a part off an old nash and he actually had the thing and new where it was. His prices are comparable to NAPA.
Old 04-06-07, 06:40PM   #12
ManicMechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
I have a true autozone story. I need a plain old mechanical fuel pump for a pontiac so i give the kid information on a 1970 pontiac 400, then he asked what model and i tell him a lemans, then if the car has A/C. I say all i want is a fuel pump and it doesnt matter, he is arguing with me if it will fit or not, im like its a pontiac they are all the same.Moral of the story is these people have no brains in their head and the computer does all the thinking.I liked the days when you had to look in a book to get a part number.
I had to have something for a 455 1975 Grand Am once and went to AZ.......I was told Pontiac didn't start making Grand Ams until 1987.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 12:26AM   #13
Poncho1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X. View Post
That's no scret. Autozone and the likes are notorious for hiring stupid people who are more computer literate than autoparts literate.
Can you go into more detail
Old 04-07-07, 12:41AM   #14
Poncho1961

Tried to buy a rear bearing assembly for my wifes Minivan. AZ guy tells me that no such part exists for that vehicle. HMMMMMMMMMM I'm amazing. Somehow I can get a part to fail that has never been made.
Old 04-07-07, 12:47AM   #15
A. X.

"My computer shows that your rear bearing assembly is not... MALFUNCTION! MALFUNCTION! CLOSE DOWN THE STORE! PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING!! PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!"