PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS
 

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-07, 05:27PM   #1
huge496
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76
Default small valve Pontiacs?

Anyone here done any porting or flowing testing on the small valve Pontiacs? Anyone done any dyno or track testing with a ported small valve head compared to large valve heads? I assume that some testing has been done at one time or another, or does everyone just assume that the larger valve heads work better in every case.
huge496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-07, 07:09PM   #2
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

I recently see where someone posted some numbers on it, and they looked impressive, just can't remember where.

Of course when you think about it, there is only .150 difference between a 1.96 and 2.11 valves, so an equal runner should flow pretty damn close.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 12:34PM   #3
Hillard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Check your math INJUNTOM, it's .150"
Hillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 12:58PM   #4
Hillard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

I've never flowed the small valve heads but I would guess that the difference between the flow of the large and small valve heads would be much less as you go down in bore size. The 350 and 326 might like the smaller valves better due to the shrouding issues. I'm in the process of taking a set of #15's and putting the larger valves in them. I wish my flow bench was working, I would flow them before I did anything just to see.
Hillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:29PM   #5
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
Check your math INJUNTOM, it's .150"
Yep, typo. I'll fix it.

I believe it was over at PY that someone posted some results..it was pretty impressive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:30PM   #6
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
I've never flowed the small valve heads but I would guess that the difference between the flow of the large and small valve heads would be much less as you go down in bore size. The 350 and 326 might like the smaller valves better due to the shrouding issues. I'm in the process of taking a set of #15's and putting the larger valves in them. I wish my flow bench was working, I would flow them before I did anything just to see.
That would be a great comparison.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:37PM   #7
Hillard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 54
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Anyone close to Dayton, OH that would loan the use of their flow bench?


INJUNTOM, I had a feeling that it was probably a typo. btw...don't want to get off topic, but just had to say, I love that 37.
Hillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:49PM   #8
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
Anyone close to Dayton, OH that would loan the use of their flow bench?


INJUNTOM, I had a feeling that it was probably a typo. btw...don't want to get off topic, but just had to say, I love that 37.
Thanks, I can't wait to get it finished. :Gach2
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 06:58PM   #9
tom s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 0
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Dave at Sd did a set of 59-60ish factory alu heads for me.1.88 intake and 1.60 exhaust I believe.They floed 220@500 with just a street port and a good valve job.Being a develpomental head and me using a 068 cam he was not too ready to take a lot out of the ports.Tom
tom s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 09:01PM   #10
huge496
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

I was hoping some might have flow numbers for and/or intake cc's for using the 1.96 intake valves.
huge496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 09:47PM   #11
tom s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 0
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

call Dave,imsure he has done them all.Tom
tom s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 09:56PM   #12
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
Dave at Sd did a set of 59-60ish factory alu heads for me.1.88 intake and 1.60 exhaust I believe.They floed 220@500 with just a street port and a good valve job.Being a develpomental head and me using a 068 cam he was not too ready to take a lot out of the ports.Tom
I think this is the set i was thinking of. pretty good numbers with such small valves
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 09:09AM   #13
Zedo
prodigal son
 
Zedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,952
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge496 View Post
Anyone here done any porting or flowing testing on the small valve Pontiacs? Anyone done any dyno or track testing with a ported small valve head compared to large valve heads? I assume that some testing has been done at one time or another, or does everyone just assume that the larger valve heads work better in every case.


the 455 engine I have in my car now came out of a 1971 station wagon- I found it in a local junkyard still in the wagon, with a 2-bbl intake on it- and low CR, big chamber, small valve heads

just for the hell of it, I took those heads, milled them .065"- put 2.19" Cleveland intake valves in them- and cut the exhaust valves down to 1.74" to fit

scribed the RA IV intake gasket pattern on the intake ports, opened them up to that size, and feathered it back into the port some- also widened the port at the short turns into the valve bowls

the resulting intake port is now 155 cc, the same size as a stock big-valve 400 head

flowed them, they flowed 230 intake, 180 exhaust- which is a little better than a stock big-valve D-port

basically gained about 20 cfm intake/exhaust- they can be ported much more than what I did

the intake valves were cheap, $5 each from PAW

I have not yet run those heads on anything, they sit gathering dust. Basically it proved you can put money and lots of time into an iron D-port, and gain very little- why bother when an E-head flows 290 cfm with no porting

and the CV's will flow nearly 400 cfm...

the iron D-ports are for someone on a very, very tight budget, these days...
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 02:35PM   #14
huge496
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 76
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Zedo why did you choose to put 2.19 valves in your heads? How much do you think they helped?
huge496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 04:47PM   #15
INJUNTOM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: small valve Pontiacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge496 View Post
Zedo why did you choose to put 2.19 valves in your heads? How much do you think they helped?
Big valve D-ports are known to flow around 207 cfm give or take a little.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High revving Pontiac gtofreek Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip 49 10-19-13 03:46AM
building a 499 e-headed race motor badbird68 Engine Buildups in progress 403 01-26-11 08:46PM
Discharge/CoEfficient % Comparison (CV-310/Ported HP's) twinturrbo406 admin only 353 11-15-10 12:54AM
oil housing by pass FireBird455 Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip 25 03-03-10 12:03PM
#16 small valve head ID Johnny406 Parts ID 1 10-30-06 12:37AM


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 01:53AM.

Featured Ads
Ken's Speed & Machine
Mayhem Turbocharging

Carter Cryogenics.  What can we freeze for you?

Pacific Performance Racing

Central Virginia Machine Service.  Home of the Injun Engine!

All Pontiac Engine Kits

Larry's Auto Machine.  Full serivce auto, marine machine shop, domestic and foreign.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2007 PontiacZone.com
Page generated in 0.11683 seconds with 43 queries