PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Tiger Head
User Name
Password

Tiger Head Tiger Head owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 12-06-09, 01:35AM   #46
Gaby Labiosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
Yes, i'm a Head Porter. But, i've never had the chance to work on any of these heads yet, so i'm forced to ask alot of questions. So how long did it take you to figure out where the valve should be in the Tiger Head ? Did you experiment with different locations, or just nail the first time ??
I don't know how much time, but moving valve locations is like everything else. You have to take into account MANY other variables that it may affect negatively. There are some general guidelines, but it depends on what you're trying to achieve. It can be EXTREMERLY application specific.

I do know that if the valve is in the wrong spot, you're DEAD!!! You can't overcome it, even if you wave a magic wand over it..

As far as the Tiger heads, I came up with a valve location on my own. Turns it out was extremely similar to the other cylinder head/engine builders who were working on them.

Jimmy's valves were not moved. It was not in the budget and/or timeframe.

If I moved them and welded up the chambers there would probably be another 40-60hp.

What heads do you normally work on?

REAL track results SEPARATE the real guys from the fake internet heros!
Gaby Labiosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 10:20PM   #47
7t2cv

[quote=Gaby Labiosa;

Well, since the gloves are off here we go. I have stayed pretty diplomatic and quiet about what I REALLY feel and know about this cylinder head, but I guess it hasn't worked. The CV1 has one of the worst port designs I have ever seen. But good job on those rockers...
[/QUOTE]

well thanks g-lab,
thats the best thing youve said about my product publicly or privately since admitting its the best bang for the buck in the 1.3 - 1.4hp/ci range on this very site recent months ago.
regarding my valvetrain, you are STILL missing the point that the reason i put the valves where they are is so that it balances the planar force vectors so guys arent REQUIRED to run $1000+ shaft rockers. yes it compromises port layout, but i knew that going in! so thats why i instructed t&d to option an offset position so that the resultant port can be straightened and developed. its unfortunate that you predisposed yourself as to its failure, others have not.

thanks,
jim
ps. last year at the pri, i specifically sought you out to tell you i had a new 225cc small port version for head port pros to work with. you gave me the thumbs up and said " thats exactly what was needed"
7t2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 10:28PM   #48
Gaby Labiosa

Jim, IT STILL IS one of the best for the 1.3/1.4 ci crowd.

When I first saw the cylinder head, you and I spoke of the changes needed to be made. It was too big, too slow, and the wrong shape for the applications you are trying to market. Not that it can't be made to work, but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE. You said you wanted to keep quiet, and offer a smaller port version, calling it a "head porter's" ( or as cast ) head because you didn't want to piss off customers who bought the first 50 batch!!!

If you wanted to focus on avoidance of shaft rockers, that is fine with me. This is your design. But you yourself said you were not a PORT designer, but a valvetrain guy. So you did a good job to eliminate planar vectors and all this mess, but what about the port??

Why then blame me if people call me and ask about the port and manifold?? What am I going to lie??

REAL track results SEPARATE the real guys from the fake internet heros!
Gaby Labiosa is offline   Reply With Quote