PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 06-27-05, 02:08PM   #1
CHAINS

Question Homemade Paint Booth

I want to say Thanks to all that are here,I was about to give up on my car because of health issues but now I won't.I have read the threads by 455 cranky anout kirker primer and paints went to the site listed and seen all the colors they have and found the excat one for my car.Now for the hard part.Does anyone have plans or can tell me the best way to build a paint booth for outside when I am able to paint my car when I am able? I live in a mobile home park so I will need to be able to build it then when finished take it down.So I planned to build it in sections so I will be able to store it then put it together as I need it and I am really really CHEAP.And my Boy says that I'm a redneck for it [red]
Thanks,Cliff H
CHAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 03:16PM   #2
spadey
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H
I want to say Thanks to all that are here,I was about to give up on my car because of health issues but now I won't.I have read the threads by 455 cranky anout kirker primer and paints went to the site listed and seen all the colors they have and found the excat one for my car.Now for the hard part.Does anyone have plans or can tell me the best way to build a paint booth for outside when I am able to paint my car when I am able? I live in a mobile home park so I will need to be able to build it then when finished take it down.So I planned to build it in sections so I will be able to store it then put it together as I need it and I am really really CHEAP.And my Boy says that I'm a redneck for it [red]
Thanks,Cliff H
I painted lots of stuff a home , i set up a quick frame with 2x4s used black wrap (that home depot sells in a large roll ,i think it was about $15.00.

coverd the frame , also used a small house fan to push the overspray out (on low speed, i cut a hole in the wrap.)

Make sure you use water seperators in the air lines at the comp. and one the fits right on the spray gun.

Iv done 1 car and a couple of bikes (harley,s) came out pretty good.

They did have a little dirt on the clear, but youll still have to water sand it anyway .
If you want it looking smooth like glass.

The set up was about $40.00 . not bad for a quick booth (not as good as paint both , but itll do)
JAVIER
spadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 04:30PM   #3
Play400

We painted 3 or 4 vehicles in the garage. Hang 1 mil poly from the ceiling on all 4 sides protecting the shelves, parts, tools, etc. Tape it to the floor in spots to prevent sucking it into the work. Have a fan setup the mounts in the walk in door frame to exhaust. Alot easier since we got HVLP guns. I have a polished floor so doesn't make much of a difference if it's wet or not. Hardest part, cleaning the over head to prevent clumps falling on the car. Darn dust balls come from nowhere and everywhere GRRRRRRRR Alan

Make sure you have a good mask. Breathing gets real tough.
Play400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-05, 04:37PM   #4
A. X.

I painted my car in my shop. No paint booth. Don't need one. They don't have one for rent around here anyway. My paint job is just as good, if not better than any professional job done in a paint booth. To keep dirt down, you water everything down outside around the shop. You hang plastic on the rafters above if there is no ceiling. You cover the walls and tools with plastic as well. This is to keep paint off of them as well as keep dirt out of the painting area.
Using cheap box fans work great as ventilation. Because they won't be worth much for anything else afterwards.

I painted my car at about this time of year. It's hot, dry and dusty. Not a speck of dirt, bugs or anything in my paint. The key is preparation. if you take the time to prepare, you'll do just fine.
Old 06-27-05, 05:58PM   #5
CHAINS

Thanks guy's I will have to build one the paint shops won't rent out paint booths around here and I don't have a garage we have to do everything outside.
So instead of black plastic I'll use clear and wet the ground and run a ground wire from the ground to the car a cheap box fan to pull out the paint is a good idea.
what about pulling air in?
I will use a good respirator and a clear face shield.
Old 06-27-05, 06:23PM   #6
A. X.

To pull air in, use some of those big heater/ac filters at one end, and the fans at the other.
Old 06-27-05, 06:43PM   #7
CHAINS

Thanks I will start making some plans it will give me something to do until I'm better :ax
Old 06-27-05, 07:00PM   #8
spadey
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Thanks guy's I will have to build one the paint shops won't rent out paint booths around here and I don't have a garage we have to do everything outside.
So instead of black plastic I'll use clear and wet the ground and run a ground wire from the ground to the car a cheap box fan to pull out the paint is a good idea.
what about pulling air in?
I will use a good respirator and a clear face shield.
Yea ,respirator is a must.

Just ask my cousin (dumbass) he was sick for a week.
JAVIER
Old 06-27-05, 07:02PM   #9
spadey
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455 Cranky
The body shops don't advertise they rent the booths. A idle booth is not making them money. I was able to leave the car in the booth for a few days. When I got done using the booth, the owner told me I could use the booth as much as I wanted. I know of at least 4 different body shops that rent booths. I would not be afraid to paint a car outside. The problem is you need a good size compressor to run a HVLP gun, they use a lot of air. Speed is key, the longer it takes to get the paint on, the more things that can go wrong.

I agree there ,I have a 60gal.
Youll need something close to that i would say.
JAVIER
Old 06-27-05, 07:25PM   #10
CHAINS

That leaves my compressor out it's only 26 gal tank with the psi is adjustable up to 150psi but not for long
Old 06-28-05, 11:00AM   #11
A. X.

Yeah, I think it's a 60 gallon minimun, or close to it. You can rent an air compressor for the day if you need to.
Old 06-28-05, 12:01PM   #12
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X.

I painted my car at about this time of year. It's hot, dry and dusty. Not a speck of dirt, bugs or anything in my paint. The key is preparation. if you take the time to prepare, you'll do just fine.
That's what a friend of mine does, except he paints outside. He starts early in the morning, about 6:AM. Hoses down the driveway and surrounding areas, does a final wipe down on the car, and shoots it. It does get some trash in the paint, but not anything that wont come out with a color sand and buff. Usually turns out pretty good for a driveway job.
Old 06-28-05, 12:02PM   #13
Goatman

Quote:
That leaves my compressor out it's only 26 gal tank with the psi is adjustable up to 150psi but not for long
150 would be good pressure, but you need more volume. You'd be stopping alot to let the compressor catch up.
Old 06-28-05, 12:53PM   #14
CHAINS

Can anyone recommend a compressor ? My wife said she would like to have mine to do household projects with like fixing old furniture and painting.
But I am sure I could find one at a reasonable price or look for a used one.
Thanks,Cliff
Old 06-28-05, 01:07PM   #15
Goatman

Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot sometimes have good deals.