PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

View Poll Results: Candy Red or Cabernet
Candy Red Rocks! 4 30.77%
Cabernet Rolls 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

sponser links

Old 05-07-09, 01:58AM   #16
wmhjr

Yeah, I can't imagine using paint that's even MORE expensive. Geez, I feel guilty for using this stuff.

BTW, here's some pics of the modified dash.... It's about ready for paint. Everything you see will be body color except the dash insert is clear coated engine turned aluminum with Autometer gauges.

Here I'm trying to make a mold for a machined aluminum piece. It'll secure the Ididit steering column and the Wilwood Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder

BTW, looks like painting will start by the end of the week, and should be done (painting, not finishing) by the end of next week!

Here's a fender. Inside is nice and pretty - outside is now ready to paint. Sorry for the dust everywhere!
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:10AM   #17
wmhjr

Thanks, but I have a brand new Ididit tilt column with a Billet Specialties wheel ready to go in.
Old 05-14-09, 12:04PM   #18
wmhjr

Default Just thought I'd update - May 14th

Got the bracket fabbed for mounting the fuse box and MSD 6AL2 ignition in the glove box area. Body panels have been painted black. Glad we did that. Though honestly everything looks really good, there is a spot on each quarter that isn't exactly perfect, and you just couldn't see it that well before the black was on. It's very minor and we'll be able to correct it with a small amount of blocking. The next couple days should fix that up, and then it's prep time for final paint. I got a box with some brake stuff delivered, but am waiting on the bulk of the Wilwood setup. Before making any wheel decisions, I want to get the rear hubs swapped so I can verify that backspacing isn't changed at all. The way it is, I think I can get a Nitto 555 in 295-45-18 on the back, but it's tight enough that I've got to insure the measurements are perfect. Also got another draft of the rendering.

Here's the newest rendering - obviously still not done...

An inside view - if you look on the floor kind of below the glove box you can see the shelf/bracket for the fuse box and ignition. The fuxe box will mount vertically with wires to the left on the upright part of the bracket. The MSD 6AL2 will mount flat to the right of that.

Some shots of the (now temporarily black) body work
Old 05-14-09, 12:04PM   #19
wmhjr

Default A few more

And a few more.... (from before the black was applied)

Old 05-14-09, 03:28PM   #20
67fire

Photo of my '65 Skylark. I painted it about 6 years ago with Nason base coat/ clear coat. Lexus "Garnet Pearl Metalic". Not the best picture, sorry.
Click on photo for full screen size.

Eric

67fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:47PM   #21
wmhjr

Nice Buick! Looks like a clean car. Something about those '65s that really grow on you.
Old 05-17-09, 08:12PM   #22
wmhjr

Well, some progress - and minor setbacks.

First, the progress. The dash bezel is done, and the engine turned aluminum panel is as well. Mocked up the assembly to insure correct fitment before putting adhesive to secure the aluminum to the plastic bezel. Here's a quick look:

I need to check and fix a couple switch related things, but for the most part I'm ready to glue the front panel in, and start wiring the assembly. I'm pretty happy about how it turned out. To be honest, the pics don't do the finished product justice. The contrast of the cabernet tri-coat and the aluminum w/clearcost really pops.

The minor setback is that when continuing to work on the steering, I discovered that the "vibration resistant u-joint" is actually too long and there are clearance issues with it and the front crossmember. There's really nothing I can do about it - not enough clearance to move anything. Here are a few pics:

I think I'm going to have to replace that joint either with a "standard" u-joint, or a rag joint. The "vibration resistant" one I have is 4.5" long. A "standard" one is 3.5" long Obviously a rag joint is even shorter. The advantage is that I was forced to go with raw steel because Borgenson didn't offer the vibration joint in stainless. Now I can go with stainless if I want. My concern is that especially since I'm using a hydrotech brake booster coupled to the steering pump, usint a "standard" u-joint could result in feeling pump pulsing through the wheel.
Old 07-13-09, 06:22PM   #23
showgoat67

Looking good.
showgoat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 01:11AM   #24
Gtomonster

Nice! I guess you won't know about the coupler until you try it. Well instead of stainless, you could just get it powder coated.

Also I'm curious... What black paint did you use to "check" your body work? I'm wanting to do the same thing to mine before spraying the color. Did you just block it back down, or prime over it then? Thanks. Looks like a sweet project!
Gtomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 12:14PM   #25
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtomonster View Post
Nice! I guess you won't know about the coupler until you try it. Well instead of stainless, you could just get it powder coated.

Also I'm curious... What black paint did you use to "check" your body work? I'm wanting to do the same thing to mine before spraying the color. Did you just block it back down, or prime over it then? Thanks. Looks like a sweet project!
Actually, I've been behind in posting about this. Replaced the steering stuff with polished stainless. It ought to be going in for good before long.

As for the paint, we just used a ppg gloss black. You don't need much. It found some issues, and then we blocked it and primed it.
Old 11-02-09, 01:39PM   #26
wmhjr

Well, I've been under the weather a bit due to injuries sustained when I had to lay my harley down. Right arm broken in a couple places, left hip banged up. Very little damage to the bike. But it really stopped work on the car. Hard to do anything one armed. Nonetheless, progress is continuing - just a little slow. Here are some pics. Please disregard the dust and dirt.

Poor quality photo after brackets installed - taken with phone

Before brackets

Dusty tail section

Test fit rear splitter wheels without center caps - no interior or weight on the rear of the car yet...

Another shot of the test fit of the wheels a while back
Old 11-28-09, 11:48AM   #27
wmhjr

Wednesday I loaded up the project and brought it back to my shop. Paint and body is DONE. It'll need a last buff before the World of Wheels show in January. Friday I'll start installing the Wilwood brakes. The below pics absolutely do not do the paint and body justice. The color is absolutely fantastic. We'll throw some accent lights in the engine bay for the show. Still trying to figure out how to display the car. January is coming fast!

Old 11-28-09, 11:49AM   #28
wmhjr

Thanks guys, Made some more progress yesterday. Got the dash pretty well put together except for one spot, so it's now ready to wire. Today I start trying to get the brakes done.

And dash pad is done and ready