> Tips and Tricks
User Name
Password

Tips and Tricks General tips and time saving tricks

sponser links

Old 03-02-15, 12:26PM   #1
73ta

Default EHead removal

Can heads be removed with engine in car on a 2nd gen firebird with AC? I also have studs not bolts securing the heads.
73ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 05:43PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

I would think the only side you'll have a problem with ( seeing you have head studs ) would be the drivers side....but if you have the head studs with the Allen wrench in top of the studs, you can remove all the studs Frist giving you room to left the heads off the block.
Old 03-02-15, 09:10PM   #3
JSPONT

I can not torque the dr. side lower bolt on my 70 a body because of the steering shaft.
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 06:23PM   #4
Mr.Pontiac

JS your not alone my 67 GTO lower bolt on drivers side same problem. I actually ground down a socket to get it in there. Pain for sure.
Mr.Pontiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 03:41AM   #5
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

The easiest way to TQ those bolts/studs is to take the blot out of the left motor mount & lift the engine up a bit & then TQ it. A little extra work but it works. I had the same problem on my 73 GTO with E-heads on the back upper studs on # 8. The brake booster was in my way. But yes the heads will come off with the engine in the car.
rexs73gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 10:15AM   #6
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Red face

If the studs have the allen socket hole in the end (much easier) then u will have to remove them to get the head off to clear the A/C box and Master cylinder.

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 03:48AM   #7
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

That misspelled word in my post should be BOLT, not BLOT, sorry didn't see it when I reviewed it.
Old 01-06-17, 09:26AM   #8
JSPONT

You guys realize this thread was from 2015. If his heads are not off yet, he might be dead!!
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 10:27AM   #9
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Red face

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Come on Rex. LOL. I just hit new posts at the top when ever I visit and it was there. Never even looked at the listing.
Happy New year. LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-17, 03:52AM   #10
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

I look at the date on some of the listings but I also believe that if we don't comment on these post old or new we will never get this site going & going good. I am so tired of the PY site kicking everyone off for not agreeing with the mods & then you don't get a good quality of mix of ideas & you end up with a couple of guys who really don't have any new ideas or if it's not what they want to believe or think they know it right then it gets stale. Agreed some of these posts are old but I see even if they are old no one has helped on the questions asked so it goes dead & the guy or gal who needs the info doesn't get it & suffers for it. So come on guys & gals dig in & start answering some & all of the question asked here as they need our help or they wouldn't be asking them. So dig deep & lets get this site going & then we will have a great site,,,better then that other site thats known for YOUR OUTA HERE. Lets build this one to be the one people come to for good help & answers.