> Suspension
User Name
Password

Suspension Some times the most over looked

sponser links

Old 01-10-16, 01:41PM   #16
sprint250
Moteesuh

Go find a circle track or road racer that has a set of four wheel scales.

It'll give you the following weights:

Gross dry
Gross with fuel
Gross with you in it

full & empty weights for:
front to back & % of same
side to side
diagonal/wedge

I had it done at the track one night.
There was a guy there offering the service as a promotional deal for his race shop.
Cost me $30 to find out where I needed to move weight around.
It is worth the time & money.
Old 06-10-16, 03:59AM   #17
keith
Stubborn old goat

Rookie question, just wondering what properties in springs are desirable and worth paying more for to have the best for street handling, race, and comprimise between the 2 applications. My 71 Formula was looking at Calvert traction bars on either Calvert split-mono or Ames 5 leaf multi rears and Ames wi/AC application specific front coils to start with. Was very happy with the "stance" correction the application specific front and rear Ames coils brought to my 66 Star Chief and the driving "feel" was a great improvement tho it hasnt gotten many miles. A pure road application. Formula will have many more ponies if I can get my crank done and will see some race track. My little H-body will get frame connectors and possibly a Ford 9" tub setup ... believe it is all coils tho I havent crawled under yet, may want air bag(s) in coil for that. H-body will see road service with a buick v6 before my Pontiac gusto motor gets installed then maybe maybe not, intend to have it a 2 seater sedan delivery with 9" with both motors. Trying to gather info to make decisions.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 01:09PM   #18
Mb125

So what's the question?
Old 06-11-16, 06:00PM   #19
keith
Stubborn old goat

Figuring spring selection might be more critical on something that may be raced. I have no real experience making selections for race applications, see Santhuff, Moroso mentioned ... other than a brand name what is it I should be looking for? Why not buy from Ames? I would like to help them do well as they are a Pontiac business and close to me, if I can get what I need from them. They dont do H-body though and looks like my screamer will end up being one. Potentially 600HP tubbed H-body with Ford 9 and frame connectors.

Guess I can think of coil springs like a valve spring, tho I havent seen these specs mentioned ...

Installed height
Installed pressure
Spring rate
ID/OD
Spring material, metal treatments, coil spacing and wind shape

Would guess stiffer than stock springs in front and less in rear to aid weight transfer for traction for strip .. these probably wouldnt help handling on a curvy road in street application. Would prefer not to have to modify ride height, never liked the "jacked up in back" look or stickers and decals look. Maybe just quality coil springs correct for application with air bags to modify spring rate as necessary. Similar with leaf just add Calvert traction bars. ?? Dont know how to "sift" the choices just speculating. Need to make good decisions the first time without breaking the bank as my resources are limited.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:07PM   #20
Mb125

Talk to someone that has the same car your building or do all the work on your car and scale the car and front and rear weight bias.
At this stage you can't guess on what springs.
Old 06-15-16, 10:52AM   #21
thomas flaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pontiac View Post
ok, Not knocking Santhuff, i had enough!! It cost me 29.00$ shipping to get them to my house then 34.00$ to ship them back because they where wrong. Now to get the 225 sent to me again they want a additional 29.00$ for shipping costs. No way!! Gach, as soon as i get refunded its Moroso time!!!
What spring did you end up going with Rich Santhuff or Moroso
thomas flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 09:23AM   #22
Jeffs 64

BMR 1" lowering springs.. I used the 2" on my 69 el Camino..

The springs they sell as stock ride height are way too high.. That rear end only has about 3" of up and down movement off the center..
Jeffs 64 is offline   Reply With Quote