Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 12-01-06, 02:11AM   #1
turbo69BIRD

Default 9.99 et = engine diaper?

Anyone heard anything about the engine diaper rule??

I was reading about it over at Turbomustangs.com 9.99 and faster gets a new sportsman diaper can anyone confirm this rumor?
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 03:20AM   #2
tweety
the blue canary

I've heard a bit of a rumor. It makes sense though. Scattered parts and fluids can make a big mess and cause a disaster.
Old 12-01-06, 06:47AM   #3
55 Starchief

When i get the T/A running im gonna sheet the underside with thin guage aluminium for aero mainly but also to try and contain any parts. Peopel dont realise how much they loose through cheese grater aerodynamics on cars. Luckily for me one of my mates used to race eco challenge and knows a lot about aero stuff
Old 12-01-06, 07:09AM   #4
Jagtec1
Drag Racer

It's true. http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp...17364&zoneid=8
2008 Ram Racing AMI #3
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 12:18PM   #5
Ron
Pontiac Nut

NHRA is still evaluating this rule. Diapers are not a problem to install on tube chassis cars. They can be nearly impossible when trying to install them on a stock front end car.

The new rule is for 9.99 and quicker and/or faster than 135 MPH
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:49PM   #6
turbo69BIRD

Thanks for the confirmation.

I was hoping it was all rumor.

Oh well street racing just got more popular!!!

Wasn't NHRA founded to keep people off the street?
LOL
Old 12-02-06, 06:47AM   #7
BDHABT

Thumbs down

Hey Jeff;its all about money.I wouldnt be surprised if NHRA started selling the diapers themselves.
BDHABT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 07:51AM   #8
Jagtec1
Drag Racer

I think it's a good idea. Expensive though. Checked the prices for an SFI diaper? Wow.
2008 Ram Racing AMI #3
Old 12-02-06, 01:21PM   #9
turbo69BIRD

Last I saw they were $800.00 and recert every two years.

I am told there is a smaller sportsman diaper on the way now.
It is supposed to be in the $200 to $300 range

Greedy bastards!!!!

It is a good Idea but the recert is a bitch!!

Thats where the greed comes in to play.

Ten oh's are looking better every day
Old 12-02-06, 04:05PM   #10
tweety
the blue canary

This is a problem I won't have. I doubt my car will ever see 11's much less 9's.
Old 12-02-06, 04:42PM   #11
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default engine diapers

SFI is still testing them so they can develop a standard for ballistic safety that all the manfacturers can build to.

It is a necessary evil.Think of all the down time that will be saved on track cleanups that hold an event up.
how many times have you sat there in the staging lanes waiting because of an oil down and then end up having to run in that lane even after the cleanup?
You don't want to have to run through another guy's oil and debris so why should you want them to , heaven forbid , run through yours.
Good brakes are mandatory now too.
Pro teams get fined big bucks for oildowns.A lot of track operators will now bill you for an oil down no matter what et or mph you run at.
At a national event where they have a very tight format and hundreds of cars to run it starts to make perfect sense.
Old 12-02-06, 05:38PM   #12
Jagtec1
Drag Racer

I hear ya on the brakes thing. There should be rules that don't exist, and some existing rules need to be changed.
2008 Ram Racing AMI #3
Old 12-03-06, 05:38PM   #13
Mo Money
Pontiac Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
SFI is still testing them so they can develop a standard for ballistic safety that all the manfacturers can build to.

It is a necessary evil.Think of all the down time that will be saved on track cleanups that hold an event up.
how many times have you sat there in the staging lanes waiting because of an oil down and then end up having to run in that lane even after the cleanup?
You don't want to have to run through another guy's oil and debris so why should you want them to , heaven forbid , run through yours.
Good brakes are mandatory now too.
Pro teams get fined big bucks for oildowns.A lot of track operators will now bill you for an oil down no matter what et or mph you run at.
At a national event where they have a very tight format and hundreds of cars to run it starts to make perfect sense.
Problem is we are not the only one's with the big oil downs. It is also the 13 sec honda/mazda spinning 10K rpm, a turbo, and 2 stages of "Nauss" backfiring through every shift until it finally lets go at the 660' mark. I have sat through more 10.0 slower delays then 9.99 and quicker.
Mo Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 07:20PM   #14
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default 10.0 & Slower

It is another expense no one was planning on that's for sure.
The pro classes were the first to get hit with this a couple of years ago.They have pretty deep pockets but I'm sure they have asked NHRA "How come we're the only ones getting / required to do this?" .
Now it's just filtering down to the other classes.
Don't think it will stop @ 9.99 either.
Rules have always stated you are not supposed to leak on to/ leave any fluids on the track.This is an extension of that rule.
Just like a catch can this will probably,eventually, become mandatory equipment for all levels of competition regardless if ET. class .
ANY cars running power adders like; blowers ,turbo,nitrous,nitro methane ,should be given special attention anyway no matter what et the car is running.
I can agree that the slower classes of racers , by virtue of their sheer numbers alone,are going to be the source of the majority of oil downs.
A properly built and tuned overhead cam engine can safely spin way past traditional V8 redlines.
I've seen just as many 10.0 and slower oil downs caused by "over tuned " domestic cars that could not even safely sustain 6000 rpms that probably shoud have had a 5000 rpm limiter chip in them.

Hopefully slower cars may not have to run the same cost / spec. device.
Just like the way the rules are structured for roll cages,belts, on board fire suppression , chassis certs. , 'chutes , competition licences ,etc. etc... .
If there is a broader market for the engine diapers the prices will drop.
They could be made inexpensively in China .

A lot of guys will go spare no expense on horsepower .When you start talking about safety equipment and certifying that it works they start bitching.
The engine diapers could also help from going out of control via running over all of your own oil should a catastrophic engine failure happen.
Just think of it as more safety equipment.

Old 12-03-06, 11:23PM   #15
turbo69BIRD

I agree it will be safer, but there are a lot of people who can't afford the extra cost of all this stuff. There are also a lot more 9.99 street cars than ever before. This is gonna be a nightmare for the street guys.

At LVD we had some guys do a study a few years ago to see who were causing the oil downs. They found out that most were 11.50 to 14.00 cars with the majority being in the mid 12 second range.

most of the down time was actually idiots wih antifreeze still in the cooling system. a engine diaper isn't going to stop that.

I think they should be on cars but not have a 2 yr cert. That would be a good comprimise.
It'll never happen.

I just wich I was one of the guys That lobbies NHRA to get these rules passed they probably get paid pretty well.LOL